Jobs at Hunch / eBay NYC
What do you get when you cross the entrepreneurial culture of a startup with the resources and opportunity of a global e-commerce leader? You get the Hunch team, where we tackle complex data challenges and apply the solutions to improving ebay.com, PayPal, StubHub, Shopping.com, and other eBay properties.
Working here gives you the best of both worlds: we provide a collaborative environment and interesting projects that will remind you of a nimble and innovative startup. But you’ll also be able to see your work applied to web and mobile platforms used by hundreds of millions of people.
Of course, being a part of eBay also means you have incredible opportunity for career growth and development, all over the world. And in addition to offering a great work environment and competitive compensation, eBay provides a smorgasbord of benefits that will almost make you blush.
Sound good? Then join us. We are looking for amazing people to join us in our NYC office for the following positions:
We are looking for well-rounded developers who love coding and building things. You should have the ability to work and think independently, be excited about developing clever solutions to very tough problems, and be interested in working on large scale problems. Our systems are built using a variety of technologies -- Java, Scala, and C++ running on Windows, Linux, and Solaris and using MongoDB, Cassandra and HBase.Meet some of our development team in this short video, and learn what it's like to code at Hunch.
To apply, please send a resume, description of projects you've built and a short email about yourself to email@example.com. BS or MS in Computer Science from a top school is preferred, but a portfolio of great projects you've built is even better.
Whereas our developers focus on writing production code, our researchers focus on developing new algorithms based on large data sets. This involves mathematical modeling, test/validation design, and a deep understanding of the mechanics of data manipulation and analysis. An MS or PhD in Mathematics, Computer Science, or similar discipline is preferred. Coding ability is required in order to productively use our massive Hadoop cluster. You should also have a portfolio of challenging projects that you’ve been involved with previously.
To apply, please send a resume, description of projects you've built and a short email about yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org.
eBay has unique and exciting opportunities available for NYC-based students with an interest in the internet and technology companies. These internships will be with the Hunch product and development teams in eBay’s new NYC office during the fall semester, with the opportunity to extend the internship through the spring.
Does breaking things using technology excite you? Ever wonder how Facebook screens all the photos of its users, or who decides what content you see on your favorite websites? eBay and the Hunch team have a number of unique tasks that revolve around user-generated content, ecommerce and large-scale data. Within eBay, we develop progressive and personalized shopping experiences that leverage algorithmic data analysis and machine learning.
eBay Inc. interns will participate in a challenging 10-12 week program, obtain practical work experience, learn about the eBay Inc. businesses, and receive mentorship from their manager and team. Interns will set goals/objectives with their managers at the start of the internship, and complete end of internship performance evaluations.
- Create and execute manual tests that test the requirements and designs for web and mobile applications
- Assist in ensuring quality data gets passed into our applications
- Log defects in an issue tracking system and report testing status to team
- Work with the team to understand application functionality and designs so your job supports our team’s larger goals and priorities
- Perform research, market analysis, and form an opinion on what you find
- Office oddjobs that always seem to come up
- Be in a stimulating environment with lots of interesting entrepreneurs coming by to mingle, share their experiences, etc.
- Current college student
- Available for work in our Flatiron office at least 12 hours per week
- Active interest in technology startups and the internet
- Good proofreading skills; stickler for proper spelling and grammar
- An active online “presence”, for example:
- A personal blog or other online projects (please provide links)
- Active member of online communities (Twitter, foursquare, Wikipedia, Tumblr, Flickr, forums, etc.)
- Sense of humor + preferably a dog lover
- Curiosity, flexibility and enthusiasm
- Degree not required
If interested, email your resume and a quick note about why you're interested to email@example.com.
To explore other career opportunities at eBay, visit the eBay careers site.