What constitutes an entity?
Latest: 6 months, 1 week
New 'Refiner' functionality - please leave any comments here
Latest: 1 year
Latest: 1 year, 1 month
NEW in Hunch Forums
Latest: 1 month, 1 week
Add a new item?
Latest: 1 month, 2 weeks
Comments on recent site changes: Star ratings, tags, visual 'matrix layout'
- Newest First
- Oldest First
I used to come here, it was a great site. But now, I abandoned the website. can't understand anything right here, and the THAY questions were so f***** amazing...
After Ebay bought this site, it turned into an boring place...
Where is the THAY questions?
-sorry for my bad english.
Posted at: 9:28PM on Feb. 11, 2012. [ permalink ]
I've tried to adapt to the new Hunch layout and tag method, but this is really lame and boring. In the beginning your recommendation engine showed me new and interesting things that I could investigate and often purchase, but now you just seem to keep recommending Apple crap.
I used to brag to friends about the fact that I had answered every THAY question on Hunch. Now I'm embarrassed by that fact because the information provides no positive use to me or other users. I can only guess that you're using this information to sell to corporations for their marketing purposes. With this assumption in mind I'm tempted to change all of my answers just to skew their data.
Today I went through the recommendations in the following categories and I was stunned by how incredibly incorrect the recommendations were.
• books - NONE of these books interest me.
• art & design - websites devoted to GIF animations do not interest me! There was a single photographer in the list that I enjoyed enough to spend about 2 minutes on his site. NONE of the other links interested me at all.
• home & garden - What makes you think I would have any interest in a glass that says "My life rocks"? The most disappointing thing here is that this was the most interesting recommendation.
• music - The only way you could possibly be more incorrect about my musical tastes is if you just recommended nothing but Polka music.
• video games - I do not play video games. Why would you have recommendations for me on this topic?
• eat & drink - Cheese, cheese, other cheese, pizza, pizza, cheeseburger, cheeseburger, KFC secret recipe, PLACENTA cookbook. I'm lactose intolerant, don't eat fast food (including KFC), and have ZERO interest in eating a placenta!!!
• movies & tv - I have to give you a little credit on this one. There were actually 2 items in this list that I will watch. that's a 10% success rate if anyone is counting.
• women’s fashion - WHY WOULD I WANT RECOMMENDATIONS ON THIS?
• men’s fashion - NO! I am not interested in wearing a tux jacket with a hood that is tiger striped. I do not need shoes with no arch support (4 different shoes recommended). I have a wallet already think you (3 different recommendations).
• tech - Mac, Apple, Iphone, Ipad, Iphone, Iphone, Blackberry... I like Android. I've never owned any Apple product. Why would you not recommend Android items to me?
After looking through all of the suggestions I found absolutely nothing that I would recommend to anyone I know and absolutely nothing that I would hope to receive as a gift or purchase myself. I find this very saddening.
Thanks for all the interesting questions when the site first opened and thanks again for the cool Hunch.com t-shirt with the banjo on it.
I'm off to browse Amazon.com where I can actually look at things that are of interest to me.
Posted at: 6:47PM on Aug. 29, 2011. [ permalink ]
THAYs NEED to be brought back into focus. They were the one thing that set hunch apart from the pack. They are relatable and interesting and engaging. Now there's nothing that hunch does that all the other recommendation engines don't do as far as anyone can tell.
I've used stars and tags everywhere else, so why am I here at all?
Posted at: 2:05PM on July 27, 2011. [ permalink ]
I am a brand new user. The only thing I know about the site is from reading descriptions about it. I never saw the questions, but that was what I was expecting when I got here. Now I feel lost. Where are these tags? My home page is blank and suggests I follow someone. If I haven't answered a single question how the heck can you suggest someone I would like to follow? Where do I type in tags what tags should I type? I just feel frustrated and don't get this site.
From my very limited experience I can say that I agree with most of catastrophe's comments.
Posted at: 1:21AM on April 25, 2011. [ permalink ]
Tags is dumbing-down, I can't see me contributing any more content and I'll look for other websites more like the old hunch questions-model. I hate it when websites change things to reduce user choice rather than give users the choice of approaches.
Posted at: 3:13PM on Feb. 14, 2011. [ permalink ]
I played a bit with the new tags-approach. I can definitely see its benefits compared to the old questions-approach: It really is faster. You click this tag and that tag and the selection shrinks and shrinks.
But my former critique still holds: The questions were more personal and exciting, and the tags still lack precision. I think with the switch from tags to questions, you traded precision for speed. Maybe you can find a method that blends both advantages.
I, for example, could imagine the following: Several of the old question boxes in the left column, each with a one-line question or description. Below those descriptions are 3-4 rows of tags.
Updated at: 9:50AM on Feb. 10, 2011. [ permalink ]
I agree that without the questions, hunch is a lot less fun. I think comparing two as opposed to seeing a whole bunch of uninteresting(sometimes) options was more interesting. Tags aren't as effective as questions in narrowing down answers. Now it feels like I am browsing through categories where as before, I used to feel like hunch was trying to figure me out and suggesting things I would like. It feels a lot less personal now. I will definitely wait to see what happens.
Posted at: 5:15PM on Feb. 9, 2011. [ permalink ]
@rhapsody -- we're working on some ways to make it easier to navigate and organize the tags. still experimenting with things, so too soon to say exactly how it will work.
there's also been a lot of discussion about providing more info about each result on mouse over or something like that. again still being thought through.
also, while the Hunch Users topic may be gone we're going to be introducing some new ways to browse people who have similar tastes or interests as you do.
Posted at: 4:15PM on Feb. 9, 2011. [ permalink ]
Oh and another thing: when there was still a specific question displayed at the main page that was a great incentive (to me at least) to answer that question, and then the next, and then the next, and so on. After the recent changes the main page simply has a link you can click to get to the questions, instead of a specific question right there. This change discourages people like me from answering questions.
Posted at: 9:30PM on Feb. 8, 2011. [ permalink ]